Find your Local Gas engineer here
Gas is a silent killer and that is why it is crucial that all gas appliances are correctly maintained. If they are poorly maintained then it can lead to gas leaks, explosions fires and poisoning. To ensure that the safety of the public is a high priority for heating and plumbing businesses. The Gas Safety Register has been put in place to govern the service that they provide and to make sure that they meet the expected standards.
So, what is the Gas Safety Register?
The law requires all gas engineers to be registered on the Gas Safe Register and it replaced CORGI which was an industry standard for many years. It is an official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work on gas appliances in a safe and legal way.
It is important for customers to understand that when the time comes for them to require boiler repairs, boiler installation or boiler servicing then they should use an engineer that is registered. If there are any gas engineers in London that are not registered, then customers have every right to refuse them. The engineer should produce a valid registration card to prove that they are registered, without one, they are working illegally.
How to protect yourself
Appliances that are serviced incorrectly and by individuals who are not qualified pose a real threat. The same can be said for any appliances that are repaired or installed. Failure to have the work completed by a qualified engineer could prove fatal in a number of ways. Carbon monoxide can kill, it is a gas that has no taste, smell and it cannot be seen and so it goes undetected. There is also the risk of fires and explosions. Both of which can rip a property apart as well as any other surrounding properties.
What are the signs
By following the steps below, you can give yourself the best chance of avoiding any of the potential risks that come with using an unqualified gas engineer.
- Look for the yellow triangle as this is a sign that the gas engineer is Gas Safe Registered. Therefore is qualified to carry out any repairs, servicing or installation.
- It is important to have your gas appliances maintained by having them serviced regularly.
- Every gas engineer should be on the Gas Safe Register and this will be indicated. You’ll find not only by the yellow triangle but by the fact that they are carrying a Gas Safe Register ID card. It is important that the card is checked before they carry out any work. This will allow you to find out whether they are qualified for the work.
- Fit a carbon monoxide alarm and understand the six symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Which are – dizziness, headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Finally, if you believe that someone, who is not on the Gas Safe Register, is carrying out work illegally. Consequently then you should report them.
The Gas Safety Register is there to protect the public. Hence to ensure that gas engineers are carrying out the work with the correct qualifications while meeting the legal standards.